A luxury hacienda near Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia. A completely restored 16th century hacienda, owned by the local Marqués, converted into an exclusive country house, keeping many of the original details of this historical property. A 9 bedroom, 9 bathroom main house, a 1 bedroom staff house, a gym, spa, cinema, large painting studio with reception area. Build around 3 different traditional courtyards. Beautifully gardened inside the courtyards as well as outside. A chapel is located in the outer garden. The over 120.000 m2 plot sits in rolling agricultural landscape of Alcalá del Valle, at an altitude of about 800 metres, looking out toward the peaks of the Grazalema mountains, half an hour north of the city of Ronda. There is an olive grove, a large ecological vegetable garden and grazing land.
An inscribed stone shield belonging to a previous owner, the second Vizconde de Tomillos and fifth Marques de Benameji, Juan Bautista de Bernuy, and dated 1765 can be found on the highest face of the southern wall. Many other historical details are still to be found in this carefully restored fortress. The walls have again been restored by using the old stones. Old beams, ceilings, floors, pillars, wall paintings and decorations have been preserved where possible or have been re-created. A truely unique project, awarded prestigious Europa Nostra prize in 2009.
The gate of the hacienda opens to an impressive entrance drive, lined with trees, taking you through beautifully landscaped grounds. Ample parking near the fortress. The completely walled fortress measures 80 by 40 meters. The main entrance leads to the first courtyard. Entrance to the main house with large reception room, and sitting room, both with impressive chimneys and beautiful restored ceiling, on the ground floor. On the first floor, a large dining room and fully fitted kitchen. A smaller dining room to the side has a restored fresco ceiling. The ample master suite, with its own sitting room below and his and hers bathrooms, together with 6 large guest rooms and their bathrooms en suite are also located on the first floor. On the groundfloor in this part of the building is fully fitted staff appartment with separate entrance and direct acces to the main house, the bodega with tasting room and the spa. A passage way leads to the second courtyard with pool. In between the 2 courtyards there is a further kitchen, laundry and utility room which directly connects to a covered terrace near the pool with BBQ and original brick oven. The pool area interconnects with the 3rd beautiful landscaped courtyard. Here a separate building has 2 more large bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, a games room, a cinema and a large paint studio/music room with another reception room. There is also a large storage/garage. All buildings have been finished to the highest standards. Modern comforts such as oil-fired underfloor heating and air-conditioning have been discreetly added whilst respecting the historical integrity of the building. Wherever you look and go you will be mezmerized by the beauty of the building, the gardens and the surrounding landscape.
The estate has 1500 olive trees, of the varieties picual and hojiblanca, and produces an excellent quality olive oil. Part of it is sold under its own label. There is also a plantation of asparagus and a large vegetable and fruit garden. A project and plans have been drawn up for a vineyard but have not yet been taken forward. Furthermore there is a large field for grazing. The hacienda has water from its own well and has extensive water deposits. Connected to mains electricity and has an internet WIFI connection. Located at 30 minutes from Ronda, 1 hour, 15 minutes from Málaga, 1,30 hour from Seville.
historical details, chapel, fresco ceilings, olive grove.